Tuesday, January 16, 2007

And then there was more snow.

In case you haven't been following the weather, it's the winter of ages in the Northwest.

First we had more rain then ever before in November. Then December hit with big winds that blew everything over. And then it started snowing.

Now, usually we get a nice wet snow over night, people stay home from work for a day, then at 2 or 3 in the afternoon it turns to rain and everything melts. Well, not this time.

The first snow storm left a huge mess of ice behind it. That eventually melted, only to be followed by more snow last week. Fortunately that snow was pretty dry, so when the temperature dropped in to the low 20s it didn't make every road in the city a skating rink, just some of them.

This weekend it was supposed to warm back up in to the 40s and start to melt. Well, it didn't. In fact, some time last night it started snowing again. And, since it was the day after a 3-day weekend and the "it might snow Tuesday morning" forecast didn't come in on Friday, I was sorely unprepared to work at home.

So I'll end up burning a vacation day, but I did get to play in some nice wet snow, suitable for snow balls if not for sledding on a saucer, and got to break in the new toy - a slightly used Nikon D50 digital SLR. It's been a while since I played with a "big" camera, and I must say I'm hooked again. Or re-hooked. Which ever it is. The thing's bulky, but it's way faster than my Coolpix and came with a big ol' zoom lens.

And since it's digital it doesn't cost me anything to take, oh, 17 pictures of a branch covered with snow. Or of Santa apparently taking a vacation to come sled down our hill incognito. Or Logan eating snow. Anyhow, here's a link to some samples!

1 comment:

bonnie said...

And in the meantime, here in NYC, it was frisbee on the beach in a t-shirt weather. If I hadn't been going out by myself on Monday, I really do think I might have paddled my racing kayak, just for kicks - usually that is strictly a late Spring through mid-Fall toy.

As it is, the water's still a little too cold to get frivolous about falling in, which is always a possibility on the fast boat.

Today finally feels normal! 19 degrees when I walked out to go to work this morning. I like it warm but it's sort of reassuring to see something resembling normalcy.