Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snowmageddon

Well, finally. Finally they warned us about snow and it actually showed up. But, in classic weatherman style, they also warned us about high winds and they didn't show up. And now apparently aren't going to. Or something. In any case, the dreaded power outages haven't hit, the cable is still working, so all is well in the Chicken household. So here's a recap of the day:

Got up late-ish, had some breakfast, read the paper, then hopped in the car and headed off to finally see Quantum of Solace. Missed the first few minutes, thanks to my crappy memory (got 3 or 4 minutes from home and had to go back to get something I'd forgotten, then took extra time at the store buying fire logs), but in spite of that it was a fine movie. Loved the rooftop chase through Sienna, I must say. Although the bad guy kind of gave me the creeps...then again, that's probably the point, eh?

After finally getting out of the Alderwood Mall parking lot I headed back to town, dropping something off at a friend's house before heading to Safeway for some final vital provisions before the great storm arived. And let me tell you, I was not the only person with this idea. I'm pretty certain that's the busiest I've ever seen the store. They weren't running out of supplies, but they were running short on carts. I managed to find one, and 10 minutes later it was loaded with firewood, garlic, a banana, some spices, apples, canned pumpkin, and some canned fire-roasted diced tomatoes. After 15 minutes in line I was checked out and heading home, just as the first flakes fell from the sky.

That was around 3 this afternoon. It hasn't stopped snowing since. We probably have 3 inches of new snow out side, and it's wicked powdery. It's not staying on the car too well, because the wind keeps blowing it off (I think I made it sound like there was no wind...there's wind, it's just not 70 MPH wind. More like gusts in the 20s). But great for walking in - after the kids were done with their showers and in their jammies I had them throw on their snow suits and boots and we went for a walk around the block. Quiet (except for the wind), peaceful (except for the children) and beautiful. Well, except for the bleary eyes from the wind-blown snow...should have worn my ski goggles, I guess.

Tomorrow's challenging question will be do I brave the snowy streets to go to the Seahawks game, or do I stay home and watch it on TV? That, I'm afraid, will be a classic "game day decision".

No comments: