Wednesday, October 29, 2008

What the hell is going on over there?

"Over There" being in England...thanks to my slack work schedule I'm getting more time to surf the web, and I've been spending a bit of time on the Daily Mail web site reading all kinds of trashy news about Brit pop stars, soccer players, royals and whatnot. But then on occasion I stumble across something like this, the story of a the 16-year-old girl who lives in a caravan (or, as we Yanks would call it, a motor home) whose daddy bought her a $200,000 wedding. That is so many levels of wrong I'm not sure where to start...so we'll start with the picture. Here's the happy bride and groom, framed by their happy parents:



What I like best about this happy family is not only did the daughter inherit her mother's, um, assets (as is apparent from the other picture), but the groom appears to have inherited his father-in-law's beard. And that's always good.

What really made me sit up and take notice of this story, though, was the fact that it's not the first story of English parents being complete fuckups. Last week brought this lovely tale of a woman who rewards / bribes her 13-year-old daughter by giving her cigarettes. The daughter doesn't seem to have connected how Mom looks to the smokes...Mom's 43, looks more like 55 or more in the photo:




So now I'm left to wonder...which is worse? Bribing your delinquent 13-year-old with smokes, or buying your 16-year-old wannabe model the wedding of her dreams?

I'm leaning toward "tie".

No comments: